Insane in the Grain

February 1st, 2011  |  by  |  Published in Uncategorized  |  6 Comments

This picture is of our cupboard’s cereal section, which is large enough to fit a mid-size military commissary. But it’s all just for us–two adults and two small kids. Refilling all these bins yesterday made me realize: we might have a cereal problem.

I have written before about my anger at the corporate grainpimps of America, who try to shill their sugar-cereals directly to my preschoolers. But I’m deeply ambivalent about even “healthy” cereals. The question is, is daily cereal for breakfast really a good idea at all?

Part of my angst dates back twenty years, to my days as was naive young cereal-eating American going to high school in Europe. The northern German breakfast, I learned, is a fastidious little spread with several dry flatbreads, maybe a slice of buttered toast, thin slices of cured meats and mild cheeses, a soft-boiled egg, and, as often as not, candles and linen. Seriously. Even in my loucher living situations there—sharing a ramshackle apartment with the bass player from my band—breakfast still seemed to be a near-ritual. We could have been up all night drinking, smoking and rocking or whatever the hell I did as a teenager, and still: Eggs. Prosciutto. Doilies.

Contrast that with the cereal routine. Find a big bowl or small basin. Pour in processed grains. Add dairy. Lower face to bowl. Shovel. Refill.

Not all that different from trough-feeding hogs in a factory farm, and now my kids are into it, too. So much so that to inspire them to drag their asses out of the bed in the morning, I try to get them to focus on what combination of cereal they’d like in their trough/bowl: rice krispies? kashi? A mix?

On the weekend, we’ll feed them, without irony, bacon from pigs who were fattened on the same cereal-diet. Sometimes the kids get pancakes. Or an egg. Since we got the one-pot, like Ebert, we’ve taken to porridge from time to time. But is that any healthier? Short of the German breakfast banquet (which I am just too lazy/tired/pressed for time to do every morning), what should we be feeding them for breakfast? An egg every day seems a little hard on the arteries, but who knows.

Calling all you amateur nutritionists out there: what should be for Frühstück?

February 1st, 2011at 10:14 am(#)

How about some fucking yogurt?

2. Kat says:

February 1st, 2011at 10:31 am(#)

Ahh…you, sirs, are why I love this website.

Any mommy-oriented website would be full of the wailing and gnashing of whack-job teeth after that article. (And truly–what to do? Force myself to eat breakfast? Don’t worry about it? What non-carb options are there that don’t require me to look at a stove before 1030 am?)

My answer has been yogurt. But now, it will be…fucking yogurt :).

3. Shane says:

February 1st, 2011at 7:45 pm(#)

Yoghurt yes, but m’lady asks “Where’s the fucking fruit”? She’s been fermenting beets and turnips with whey these days and the shit is real good, so maybe she’s channeling some good tips. She adds, “Brown rice, yoghurt, and the fruit reels ’em in, ’cause it’s sweet. Honey for the finicky ones”.

February 2nd, 2011at 8:27 am(#)

How about some fucking Smuckers?

February 2nd, 2011at 9:49 am(#)

Fermenting beets and turnips with whey?! Sounds like a survivalists breakfast. How about some fucking armageddon flakes?

6. karen says:

February 5th, 2011at 8:16 pm(#)

fucking homemade yogurt? that’s what my kids have been asking for all fucking week, seeing as I had other pressing matters to attend to and the fucking yogurt got missed.

mine get cheerios, pseudo or real rice crispies and, on special occasions – read: when on sale – the fabulous cereal they consider sugared: strawberry special K.

I don’t know. I’m pretty sure I am failing as a purveyor of health.

Oh shit. Kat was right.

Do you show this to your kids?

AP Images

An unnamed gunman gestures after shooting the Russian Ambassador to Turkey, Andrei Karlov, at a photo gallery in Ankara, Turkey, Monday, Dec. 19, 2016. Turkish police shot and killed the gunman, Turkish station NTV reported. Russia's ambassador to Turkey has died after being shot in Ankara, according to Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman. #APPhoto by Burhan Ozbilici

Story developing: http://apne.ws/2hRY0rH

Dec 19th, 2016 7:32pm • No Comments

"They watch their mothers and fathers overdose and die on the bathroom floor. They live without electricity, food or heat when their parents can’t pay the bills. They stop going to school, and learn to steal and forage to meet their basic needs."

The Children of the Opioid Crisis

wsj.com

Left behind by addict parents, tens of thousands of youngsters flood the nation’s foster-care system; grandparents become moms and dads again

Dec 16th, 2016 2:11pm • No Comments

Don't forget the gift receipt(s)!

A Gift for Every Type of Dad (That You Can Buy on Amazon)

Including cricket-flour protein bars, ice-cold beer chillers, and an air fryer that uses hardly any oil.

Dec 9th, 2016 3:27pm • No Comments

As Ryu Spaeth pointed out, the only thing worse than "Papa" is the pronunciation "paPA." PERISH THE THOUGHT.

“I just think ‘dad’ and ‘mom’ are very Saved by the Bell-ish,” said Will Grose, 36, a Brooklyn father of three boys under the age of 5.

Nov 30th, 2016 5:20pm • 1 Comment