Comment of the Week

February 7th, 2011  |  by  |  Published in A Week on the Wagon  |  7 Comments

Yes, I know it’s only Monday, but it’s hard to imagine any of our otherwise brilliant commenters besting this one, a scathing response to Theodore’s “un-birthday” post from his own mother:

liar liar pants on fire i called twice –you did not answer — i texted twice –you did not answer . then i left a message with your wife to say i wished you a happy. you just needed to write a pithy , semihumorous , semi selfpitying mmonologe . next time –mom says answer your phone when i call .

Think you can do better than that? Readers, we await your contributions.

1. Andrew says:

February 7th, 2011at 4:28 pm(#)

I added Dadwagon to my Google Reader feed, following Matt from his NYT Frugal Traveler work, which I loved.

But I have to say, many months later, that I find the whole lot of you navelgazers insufferable.

>unsubscribe<

February 7th, 2011at 4:30 pm(#)

Bravo, Andrew! A strong early entry. We ARE insufferable.

February 7th, 2011at 4:33 pm(#)

Thanks, Andrew! I hope you don’t mind if we use your comment as a “reader testimonial” on our About page.

Also, while that’s an attention-getting comment, it still pales in comparison to the harsh words from Theodore’s mom. Next time, try harder!

4. BloggerFather says:

February 7th, 2011at 4:47 pm(#)

Two things that have nothing to do with Theodore’s mom:

1. Theodore is one day older than me, which is kind of a big deal. And I was also published many years ago in the Mississippi Review, which makes us pen-brothers (pen-twin-brothers, almost).

2. Andrew is the most awesome person on earth, and his Google Reader feed is prize-worthy.

Happy Birthday!

5. Andrew says:

February 7th, 2011at 5:01 pm(#)

This is the most direct (and generally positive) feedback I’ve received from any one source in about the last eight years. That’s included two years of graduate study, three different employers, and a marriage.

Is it alright if I keep you in the feed after all, so I can occasionally flame up in the comments? You know, on the rough days, when I need a little pick-me-up.

February 7th, 2011at 5:24 pm(#)

Flame on! –Theodore.

7. jason says:

February 7th, 2011at 9:03 pm(#)

i agree with mom. i called and left messages. ted you kinda suck at telecommunications. i’m not sayin, i’m just sayin.

Do you show this to your kids?

AP Images

An unnamed gunman gestures after shooting the Russian Ambassador to Turkey, Andrei Karlov, at a photo gallery in Ankara, Turkey, Monday, Dec. 19, 2016. Turkish police shot and killed the gunman, Turkish station NTV reported. Russia's ambassador to Turkey has died after being shot in Ankara, according to Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman. #APPhoto by Burhan Ozbilici

Story developing: http://apne.ws/2hRY0rH

Dec 19th, 2016 7:32pm • No Comments

"They watch their mothers and fathers overdose and die on the bathroom floor. They live without electricity, food or heat when their parents can’t pay the bills. They stop going to school, and learn to steal and forage to meet their basic needs."

The Children of the Opioid Crisis

wsj.com

Left behind by addict parents, tens of thousands of youngsters flood the nation’s foster-care system; grandparents become moms and dads again

Dec 16th, 2016 2:11pm • No Comments

Don't forget the gift receipt(s)!

A Gift for Every Type of Dad (That You Can Buy on Amazon)

Including cricket-flour protein bars, ice-cold beer chillers, and an air fryer that uses hardly any oil.

Dec 9th, 2016 3:27pm • No Comments

As Ryu Spaeth pointed out, the only thing worse than "Papa" is the pronunciation "paPA." PERISH THE THOUGHT.

“I just think ‘dad’ and ‘mom’ are very Saved by the Bell-ish,” said Will Grose, 36, a Brooklyn father of three boys under the age of 5.

Nov 30th, 2016 5:20pm • 1 Comment